Thursday 25 April 2013

Van Gerwen closes in on play-offs

Michael van Gerwen will have been well aware that his two victories in Dublin last week has given him a chance of securing his Premier League play-off place in Birmingham.

The Dutchman’s wins against compatriot Raymond van Barneveld and then Adrian Lewis increased his lead at the top of the table to four points from his nearest challenger, James Wade.

On his way to another brace of victories in Dublin, van Gerwen showed just why he currently finds himself at the top of the table. Averaging over 107 in his comprehensive win against van Barneveld, the youngster never let his more illustrious countryman gain a foothold in the tie, going on to take the win without too much fuss.

While van Gerwen wasn’t at his best during the 7-5 victory against Lewis in his second game of the night, the Dutchman showed he can still beat top players when he doesn’t play at the top of his game, and do it in front of 10,000 people.

After experiencing the electric atmosphere inside a packed O2 in Dublin, the 23-year old admitted he was full of confidence going into the business part of this Premier League campaign.

“This is the biggest crowd I’ve played in front of and it felt great. My confidence is high and I’m very happy with how I’ve done in this Premier League,” said van Gerwen picking up a pair of victories in Ireland.

“I have great people behind me and I am enjoying everything at the moment. It is difficult playing two games but I’ve won them both times and now I just need to win once every week.”

For the latest from the oche, including Whitlock's match-up with the Hammer, visit the Betfair website at http://betting.betfair.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment