Monday 29 June 2009

Tevez takes aim at Berbatov

Carlos Tevez could not resist one last parting shot at Manchester United when he rounded on former strike partner Dimitar Berbatov for forcing his exit this summer from Old Trafford.

The Argentina international raised eyebrows last week when he announced he had asked to leave after rejecting the offer of a five-year contract to stay with the Premier League champions. Manchester City and Chelsea now lead the race for his signature, although the former loan forward has insisted he has not decided on his plans for the future.

Tevez struck a chord with match-going United supporters because of his willingness to chase lost causes and the former West Ham favourite felt he was not rewarded in the big games by manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

"I am not sure where I am going to play, but I know for sure that it will not be at Manchester [United]," Tevez told the Argentina TyC Sports television network. "When I arrived I had to fight for a place like any other player. My first season was good. I was a starter or a substitute, but I respected that.

"But in my second year, after the match against Liverpool, the coach started to overlook me. The fans supported me a lot so I thought that something was going on as my performances were also good. I was a professional.

"The signing of Berbatov from Tottenham on transfer deadline day last summer also convinced Tevez he was not rated by Ferguson. Curiously, Tevez revealed he was never urged by the Old Trafford boss to sign a new contract.

"I did not feel supported after they signed Berbatov, because I was the man for the job he was bought to do. Last year I was the second top scorer after Cristiano [Ronaldo]. We won two titles [the Premier League and the Carling Cup] and being shut out like this was something that I could not understand.

"They did not ask me to sign the contract. Ferguson told me not to be worried about Berbatov's arrival, but I did not like it when he started to put me on the bench often. I gave my life for the Manchester United shirt."

Nick Walsh writes features and football betting previews for Betfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment